Make a Plan
Small Business Saturday® is not your ordinary event or just another day to mark on your calendar. It is a nationwide effort that aims to support small businesses and is one of the biggest shopping holidays of the year. It's an opportunity you can't afford to miss out on! American Express, the Small Business Administration (SBA), and small business supporters across the country are investing in this event, and your customers are eagerly anticipating what their favorite businesses will offer. So, make sure you seize this chance to boost your business and avoid leaving any potential profits on the table!
No matter if you operate a traditional physical store, an online-only business, or a combination of both, it is essential to organize an event for your valued customers. The incredible support shown in 2022, with a staggering $17.9 billion spent, is truly a cause for celebration.
What plans do you have in mind? Will you create stunning decor? Maybe hire a talented DJ to set the mood? How about providing irresistible refreshments? Don't forget about free samples to entice your customers! And why not offer exclusive discounts on products that are rarely discounted? Consider adding a delightful Gift with Purchase option as well. How about organizing an exciting contest or prize drawing? The possibilities are endless! Take the time to decide what features you want to showcase, make sure you have all the details sorted out, and don't forget to capture some amazing photos and captivating video clips to share with the world.
Market Your Participation
Discover creative strategies to promote your event and generate buzz. Effective event marketing plays a crucial role in the success of your Small Business Saturday extravaganza.
- Contact your local chamber of commerce, economic development committee, or merchants’ association. They may already be planning a local push to support small businesses in your area.
- Create your own hyperlocal merchant collective with other business owners in a small radius. Share the responsibilities of planning and multiply your returns. Consider creating a passport where customers who collect a stamp or receipt from all participating businesses get a special prize or go into a prize drawing.
- Inquire about the communications for local neighborhoods. Often homeowners associations have a website, newsletter, and email lists where they promote events to residents. Many groups are also on social media in Facebook groups, Reddit forums, the Nextdoor app, and similar. Ask your customers where they get news for their neighborhood events.
- Make a Facebook event from your business page or personal page that is listed as public. Tip: add multiple event hosts from your personal profile, your business page, and even group admins. Each host can invite different sets of contacts.
- Marketing to your existing email list, being sure to include links to the Facebook event page and your social media channels, as well as mentioning any specials, entertainment, or partnerships that you've planned.
- Reach out to local broadcast media, newspapers, or local influencers and offer to be a part of their coverage.
Join the ASOM Marketing VIP community on Facebook to get more ideas and brainstorm with other business owners.
Ensure that you maintain optimal inventory levels to meet the demands of your customers. Additionally, consider offering pre-sales and allowing customers to pick up their purchases in-store on Saturday. It's important not to delay in getting the necessary supplies for your event. Make sure to have enough staff members to assist customers and provide support. Contact local high schools and universities to explore potential resources, as you may even be able to offer community service or internship credits to students.
- Create a captivating backdrop for selfies and display a sign that encourages visitors to share their pictures, tag your business, and check in at your location. Get inspired by the variety of examples and ideas for affordable and effortless selfie walls that I will be sharing in the Facebook group. You can also visit my Pinterest board for Small Business Saturday®
- If you have any exciting events or special promotions planned for December, make sure you have printed materials to include in packages and give to visitors.
- Collect their contact information, express gratitude for their support, and extend a warm invitation to join us at our upcoming event.
Enter your best email address above to get the free Small Business Saturday Content Calendar that I’ve provided to market your Small Business Saturday® participation on your social media channels.
Need help planning a strategy? Schedule a complimentary consultation with ASOM Marketing.